Friday, May 3, 2013

110 YEARS OF BING CROSBY

 

It is hard to believe that the voice of the 20th century, Bing Crosby would be 110 years old. Bing singing "Brother Can You Spare A Dime" was the voice of the Great Depression. When he sang "I'll Be Seeing You" he was the voice of World War II, and when he sang such catchy tunes was "South America,Take It Away" or "You Don't Have To Know The Language" with the Andrews Sisters, he was the voice of the post war prosperity that our country has not seen in years. Bing was so many things to so many people.

To me, Bing Crosby was like an extra grandfather. He always reminded me of my own Grandfather (until my Grandfather started looking like Peter Boyle on Everyone Loves Raymond). My Grandfather had many of the same mannerisms and moods that Bing had. My Grandfather introduced me to Bing, and they both got me through some tough times in my life. A Bing Crosby recording could set the mood for anything you are feeling. When I would break up with a girlfriend or visa versa I would listen to Bing's "I'm Through With Love". When I wanted to feel happy I would put on "My Heart Is A Hobo" or "Sunshine Cake". When I finally fell in love and married my wife, Bing's version of the Rodgers and Hart standard "You Are Too Beautiful" became the theme song that I remember. Bing Crosby again was so many things to so many people.



As I said, my Grandfather introduced me to Bing at a young age. My first Bing recording was a 45rpm I bought for 50 cents of "My Girl's An Irish Girl" and "Galaway Bay". I bought it when I was six in 1980. I actually had that record up until maybe nine years ago. Most of my Bing Crosby collection is now on CD, but if I play a song now that my Grandfather and I played on one of his 78rpms, I can still remember where the skips or scratches were. Bing Crosby not only has sung the soundtrack of my life, he helped a young kid get closer to his Grandfather. For that alone Bing is the second most important man I ever had in my life. Happy 110th birthday Der Bingle...


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your fond memories. Happy Bing Day!

    ReplyDelete